Thursday, April 28, 2011

Salience

"Salience" was not a word I had heard spoken aloud before. I definitely didn't know what it meant. Before I entered college, I never wondered how important or relevant information was. I just assumed it had its merit, but every day we are surrounded by headlines and bylines promising our every wish will be fulfilled.

Some jerk gets richer every dollar we spend at the grocery store buying magazines and popular self-help books. As long as they look presentable and promise results writers make bank.

I'll admit that it's hard to feel interesting. I don't have some hot-button issue or craze to write about. Inconsequentially, I'm going to pass right through the internet without comments or readers. I'm not going to pretend I'm well versed in feminist ideology or literature. Heck, I'm not going to offer opinions on articles from websites.

I just want to share my humble opinion about what it means to be a woman and spread a positive message—something I feel too few people do.

2 comments:

  1. Simple is beautiful. Sometimes I feel like...there's too much information and "stuff" out there, and that I need *all* of it to be a complete person in the eyes of society - I need to do everything, be everything, know everything, *have* everything.

    But you're right, you really only need to do/be/know/have what's important (or salient) to *you*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The older I get the more upset I become with writers who promote that image for a quick buck. Grr!

    ReplyDelete