Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Magic of Being a Woman

The thing I often consider is having children—particularly a daughter. It was during a long road trip that I first thought about that first "Welcome to Womanhood" I might have in the future. The first thing that struck me is the difficulty of believing that being a woman is magical and empowering.

When I was twelve, I didn't believe my own mother when she told me how wonderful it is to be woman. Why would I in our society? It took me many years to start believing.

The truth is that women possess a unique energy! I've felt it so many times throughout my life but am finally aware what this energy is.

Many cultures believe that when a woman is on her moon she has more medicine in her than any man present, because she has the power to recreate and give birth to herself.

What does it mean to give birth to yourself? What does it mean to be reborn? It means that you are physically and emotionally changing from one form to another.

As women, we are cleansed and change, discarding the parts of ourselves we don't wish to carry on with.

Have you ever felt an energy at your fingertips or pulsing through you? This is the energy and magic of being a woman.

Although my future daughter may not believe me, I hope to give her all the encouragement to discover this for herself. I want her sexuality and nature to be a private and special gift. My one wish is that women could begin world wide to believe they are magical beings, capable of creating the person they truly are.

2 comments:

  1. "Many cultures believe that when a woman is on her moon she has more medicine in her than any man present"

    I love this! It seems like lots of cultures around the world have historically recognised the importance of women, there's a lot we can learn from them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In general, Native Americans believe that. The men don't pretend to know a lot about women and they have their separate, female chiefs or spiritual people. Women on their moon sit out on a lot of ceremonies so that men can enjoy an experience that isn't eclipsed by her presence. I never understood that as a kid. I wondered why women were separated from men and assumed it had so much to do with "hormones" or upsetting others. Nope, far from it.

    ReplyDelete